Documents Required for Opening a Maltese Bank Account
Maltese law does not impose foreign investors to open a bank account in Malta, but it is recommended to own a Maltese account for various reasons, and our specialists in company formation can help you with consultation on this matter, by assisting you in the preparation of the documents and presenting the Maltese bank system and its requirements.
Opening a bank account in Malta may vary according to the bank you will be collaborating with, but the following documents are compulsory:
• certificate of registration;
• memorandum and articles of the underlying shareholders;
• identity documents (passports) of the owners of the company;
• bank references, containing all the shareholders and directors of the company;
• completion of bank opening forms.
There is no specific duration for the application process when opening a bank account, as it may vary due to the requirements imposed by the bank. After the required documents are verified, the bank account can be opened in several days.
When the bank account is available, the bank activity can be performed not only at the bank office, but also through the internet, e-mail, post, fax and telephone.
Banking Services in Malta
An entrepreneur setting up a company in Malta
will find the banking services
very useful to his or her business, which can be tailored according to the needs of the company:
• the bank account can be opened in the national currency of Malta or in a requested foreign currency;
• the account can offer services such as transfer, payments deposits, letters of credit and other banking instruments the company needs;
• cheque book instruments;
• credit card services, which are offered in special conditions;
• internet banking services.